<VV> ANY model engine removal question

Mark Corbin airvair at earthlink.net
Thu Jun 3 11:31:13 EDT 2010

Ken, I think the key word here is "experience". Mike McKeel and I always do
the engine-only method on the lates. Only broke one snout once - ONCE, when
I was inexperienced. Never bent an input shaft.

But as far as whole drivetrain removal, yes, it's a *little* easier to do
in an early. At least in respect with contending with the axle hardware.
But I'd still rather contend with the LM's axle hardware than the infernal
EM perimeter seals. Even Marlow (a dyed-in-the-wool EM lover) admits to
that horror show.

-Mark

transmission input shaft, not that big a deal even though it happens quite
quickly and easily as well as frequently.

> On standard shift models there is a great chance of breaking the throwout
bearing snout attached to the rear axle gear housing.  This is  a pretty
big deal when one realizes what it takes to replace the snout and this
happens a lot.

> Even though there are many of you out there that has 'got away with'
pulling the engine only, I recommend inexperienced and moderately
experienced mechanics as well as those that do not have proper equipment to
handle the engine as it is being removed always take the whole power train
out as an assembly.  After all, it went into the car as an assembly.