<VV> ANY model engine removal question

Chris & Bill Strickland lechevrier at earthlink.net
Thu Jun 3 17:00:15 EDT 2010

>Only broke one snout once - ONCE, when I was inexperienced. Never bent an input shaft.

After one has gained the experience to not break the snout, one no
longer needs to ask opinions on the best way to remove an engine and/or
drivetrain, as one has already formed those opinions.  Seems to me that
it would be easier for a person of little experience to pull the
drivetrain intact to reduce the chance of gaining the additional
experience & expense of replacing a snout (aka overhauling the
differential).

>But as far as whole drivetrain removal, yes, it's a *little* easier to do
>in an early. At least in respect with contending with the axle hardware.

It's faster in an early -- I've had them out in 30 minutes -- VW's in 18
-- total, no wrecking yard shortcuts, removed to reinstall in same
vehicle, Back When salad was the order of the day.  {And, at a little
club demo thing with most everything pre-disconnected, except the
drivetrain, car going to salvage, using a hoist and many hands, I've
seen them out of a late model in just a few minutes, seems like it was 5
or 6).  And, I've seen them yanked out of cars at the salvage yard in a
few seconds.

>But I'd still rather contend with the LM's axle hardware than the infernal
>EM perimeter seals.

Again, personal preference -- I don't find the early seals difficult,
maybe it has to do with where one lives?

Bill Strickland