<VV> Fw: GM dropping CHEVY

Mark Corbin airvair at earthlink.net
Fri Jun 11 09:33:58 EDT 2010

It all has to do with PR and public image. Though it sometimes backfires.
Think New Coke. Execs in all businesses are constantly thinking of ways to
sell their wares. It's why nothing ever stays the same. Even products that
have remained the same for decades, like corn flakes. Change the face of
the box, and spur sales.

Henry Ford thought he could sell the Model T forever, and he almost
succeeded. But in the end, progress overtook the T and even he had to
change.

With the LM Corvair, I imagine that it simply was an "oversight", in that
the car was well-known at the time to be a Chevy. So the car's appearance
was cleaner without hanging the "Chevrolet" nameplate on it. The Corvair
nameplate on the front and back, and the bowtie on the nosebar and other
discrete spots were probably felt to be enough.

-Mark