<VV> Radios, was: No-option cars

Mark Corbin airvair at earthlink.net
Tue Jun 15 09:40:36 EDT 2010

At one (at least) time the auto industry wanted to make "in-house" radios
standard, but the aftermarket radio suppliers complained to the government.
Said that would cut into their business of supplying aftermarket radios for
installation into new cars. Thus the FCC (or some other part of the
government) may have twisted some arms on their behalf, or maybe some
lobbist-controlled congressmen may have threatened some legislation. I
don't remember offhand. I do remember reading about it when it happened,
though.

Nevertheless, the auto industry backed down. It's why the consumer has
always had the "choice" of "deleting" the radio.

-Mark

mailto:vv-help at corvair.org
http://www.corvair.org/