<VV> Year of the Really Earlies - and Music, Too!

Dave Newell chevrobilia at juno.com
Wed Jun 16 01:00:41 EDT 2010

Hi Rodney,
The Kansas City, Missouri plant began Corvair production on September 14, 1959, the same day that Oakland, Calif. began assembling Corvairs. JR asked about Canada: Oshawa Corvair production began on November 20th.

You're very lucky to have Kansas City #37. The plant started out on two shifts, working up to 20 Vairs and 30 Impalas an hour. It's safe to say that your car was likely built on the second day of production at the latest.

I'd sure like to have a picture or rubbing of the Fisher Body plate in your engine compartment. Very little is known about early KC body plates, option codes or when build dates first appeared on KC plates, so it's always a treat to see a KC body plate.

Your car is definitely historic and could very well be the earliest surviving KC Vair. We should all be rooting for you to restore it! It should have had the early style parking brake setup when it was built since all Corvairs had it until production stopped just after the steel strike in November.

Of course only Willow Run built Vairs can be the "earliest" Corvairs since production started there on July 7, 1959, almost 51 years ago. Up until now, Pete Koehler's #375 has been THE earliest Vair known to exist. The recent posts by "Mel" on Corvair Center have included photos of his very early Willow Run car with horn slots, but until he reveals the VIN, 375 still stands as the earliest Corvair known.

Dave Newell