<VV> looking for early wheels and tires

Ray R. (aka Grymm) vairguy at echoes.net
Fri Jun 18 02:14:10 EDT 2010

My 63 monza is coming along fast and the one thing that's going to hold me back from driving it is tires.  I priced four of the cheapest tires I could get for the stock 13" wheels and it comes to about $270 installed...    since I don't like stock wheels and skinny tires I hesitate to spend that much on them... and then want to get a custom combo as soon as possible.

If anyone has either a cheap set of used 13" tires that will fit an EM locally.. just good enough to pass inspection I'd be interested.  Also if anyone has a set of custom 4 lug wheels they dont use anymore and would like to sell (especially if they have useable tires on them) please let me know.  Keep in mind my budget is limited...  say $400 or so (I know thats not much for wheels).

I've got my eye on ebay, and I'm on the lookout for a set of 280Z wheels or something like that locally as well... I might call the local salvage yards about them.  The wheels I actually like are the "modular" type with the round holes all the way around, and the (7?) spoke aluminum mags that are popular as aftermarket wheels on the Z cars and such.. the ones so common back in the 70's.  I see wheels of the latter type available for just over $75 each new on ebay....  so I might go that route if nothing comes up.. but then I'll need to get some used tires to put on them!  I love the cheap chrome steel modulars you can get new for $50 each, but I've had three sets before and trying to keep them from surface rusting is a real pain... requires not letting them ever go more than a few days without a good cleaning..  based on that experience I think I'll go with aluminum wheels this time for sure.

I plan to sell this car when the 65' is completed... probably in the fall if things don't go awry (dont they always?), but I plan to replace it as soon as possible with another 63 or 64 with a 4 speed that I'll keep... so if I really like the wheels I get I can keep them when I sell the car and use them on the next early.  If they don't really suit my taste hopefully they will make the car catch more eyes when its for sale, and I also will have the correct wheels and hubcaps to offer to anyone who doesnt like the custom look.

Ray "Grymm" Rodriguez III
Lake Ariel, PA
CORSA member
66' Corsa 140/4 coupe
65' Corsa 140/4 coupe (under construction and almost done!)
63' Monza PG coupe (next project)