<VV> Convention Highlights

levair at aol.com levair at aol.com
Sun Jun 27 20:44:51 EDT 2010

                                 Convention Highlights

    The convention highlights for me were many blessings.  I don’t have
any hard results now, so for now, just have opinions.
     We had about 30 entries at  the Marshalltown Kart Track. There just
isn’t a better venue for Corvair  Solo racers. It’s a wide track with
2nd and 3rd gear coneless corners and straights.. The track doubles
back so that spectators can view it all. There were many great
competitiors, but  I don’t have results. I do remember Mark Aksamit
driving a very recently purchased stock late like a mad man. There was
a real battle of the earlies with Jim Dallas coming out on top. Of most
interest to me was the intense rivalry of David Clemens and my son
Michael. Since the inception of the Marshalltown track, the record for
FTD has changed from 79.3, to 78.0, to 76.0, and now to 75.3(by
Michael). The bar has been raised by the new 3.0 and 3.1 liter (seven
cylinder?) engines. They both have all steel cars, and massive tires.
Michael won this one by .030 seconds. David had to hand the Tweety to
Michael. I was about .3 seconds behind the racy duo; in other words—no
place.
    Of special interest to me was the volunteer workers; Clark Hartzel,
Sandy Dallas,  Laurie Aksamit, and Barbara Emerson.  Barbara did not
get officially recognized-until now; thanks Barb.
     Michael’s all steel car (YSR160)  is a replica of the Stinger that
I road raced in the 70s and wrote about in “Ancient History”. I still
get chills every time that I see it.
     On the trip from Marshalltown Sharon had a blow out on the right
rear of her Buick Rendezvous. She was towing the little open red
Roadster on a single axle trailer in a five vehicle caravan.  A piece
of metal as large as the blade of a 6” hunting knife went through the
tire. She got it safely to the roadside and as I was getting the
temporary spare out good samaritans  from a home on the roadside, came
to our aid with a jack and a battery impact wrench. Upon thaking them ,
the wished me a happy Father’s day.  Sharon did a great job of towing
to Cedar Rapids on the tiny spare.  The tire was replaced Monday for
$165.
    I was looking forward to the assembly of a band at the convention.
The  proposed band members had only communicated  via others via e
mail; so didn’t know one another.  Our method of contact was for me to
make noise and see if the musicians would come out of the woodwork.
Phil Raker was first; he is a professional violinist. I am strictly an
amateur, so am easily out done. As a matter of fact, I was refused the
grand piano because I wasn’t a professional. Our only plan was to play
the Corvair “National Anthem” –“See the USA in your Chevrolet” and the
Cavemen  Anthem—Alley Oop (look at that cave man go!) We had exchanged
that sheet music by e mail.  I had an amp with me just for a surprise
singer and we had one named Marlene for a while.   A couple of 8 year
old girls also played the piano. While playing I was  able to stop and
visit with many who passed by. I’d rather talk than play anyway.
     One of the times I was stopped was to go see the metal model of the
Bill Thomas/Doug Roe vintage car. Sharon and I were absolutely blown
away!!!
Barry Burkmans’s attention to detail was absolutely amazing! It was
another unexpected blessing.
    Phil and I practiced several songs  of every genre once, but I never
saw the others until 5:00 before the Banquet. I got back form the
autocross at 5:00. Ernie Sanders (Sax) and  Beth Tibbetts ( blue grass
mandolin) were professional and picked up immediately.  What a blessing!
    There were several events for the ladies, which Sharon helped plan.
I know that Sharon went to a quilting session and two cooking sessions.
We hope that this trend continues for future conventions. Having a
happy wife with you is a wonderful thing. Sharon got to display her
(our) quilt on the back of the piano. The award winning quilt was a
pictorial history( birth day present) of all of my cars and family. I
enjoyed the Raffle quilts very much also.
     We have almost always had out teen age grandchildren with us at
conventions, but this time they were unable to attend at the last
moment.  One of the first persons that  I saw was Laura Gundlach who is
a close personal friend of the grandchildren.  I adopted Laura as a
granddaughter for the week by giving here a ride in the Roadster. Laura
is an adorable 19 year old who had only driven a standard transmission
in a tractor.
     Laura is a quick learner , did exactly as instructed, and made
large improvements on every run.  She even drove the parade lap for
practice.  Laura obviously had her own cheering section.
    Since the competition car incorrectly ran the last heat, I had a lot
of time to watch events.  I sat in the grandstand with the huge crown
of spectators and watched them rave, holler/yell, and applaud at the
daring finishes. People loved the Rob Bradley/Seth Emerson course.
    Mark Aksamit wowed every one again in his heat. Ray Laugh’s car won
one of the heats---he was dancing for joy. Seth Emerson won overall in
Harlan Colburn’s 383 CID Supercharged  2000# convertible with times in
the 35 bracket.  David Clemens beat Michael this time with a low
37---.3 under Michael. I barely nipped my son for a change. Tracy,
Laura, and Ryan won their groups with Ryan gleefully beating his
father. I beat myself by using an autocross specific transmission—it
was perfect for Marshalltown. . I had to shift to fourth on the back
straight because 3rd gear was too close to second gear. 5500 rpm in 4th
is scary through the chicane.
     The Friday car display went very well and the Concours cars also
got to be viewed again. It was great for everyone. Most were already
packed and ready to leave so got to enjoy the show, music and food in a
laid back manner.
    We took two days to make the long one way trip back home. We were
almost home when we decided to make one last stop. As we pulled into
the restaurant, the tire on the small trailer went flat.  This was
another unexpected blessing; by not having it happen on the interstate.
    Congratulations to Bob, Linda, and the whole crew, for a great
convention.

Warren