<VV> Special wheel CENTER FIT failed studs

kenpepke at juno.com kenpepke at juno.com
Mon Jun 28 13:42:36 EDT 2010

I have seen non-hub centric wheels shear off the lug-studs, not on a Corvair but on other cars AND I have seen hub centric wheels shear off the lug-studs.  This is not a factor in stud or bolt failures.  Failed studs would primarily be a result of over tightening / over stretching.  The simple truth in both cases the wheels are centered and all forces are taken up by the conical section of the lug nuts holding the wheel to the hub.  It is not possible to take up a load across a gap no matter how large or small.  For the center hold to take up any of the load it would have to be at least a light press fit or tighter.  Obviously if the wheel was transferring load to the hub at that point there would be a wear pattern visible where the wheel moved as it rotated.  There is always only some degree of surface rust but no wear visible.

Bob Hall said 'I'm just making the point that with a non hub concentric wheel all the load is now on the  studs/nuts.   I don't have any racing experience (a little autocross), but I am one of those who are still not comfortable putting non-hub concentric after market wheels on my LM.'  This is an emotional driven belief which is OK but, it is not supported by accepted engineering principles.
Ken P

********************
"Ray R. \(aka Grymm\)" <vairguy at echoes.net> wrote:

I say let's draw on the 45-50ish years that these cars have been around and
an only slightly lower number of years CORSA has been holding autocross
events....  we have a ton of people here who have been to many such
events....

Anyone EVER seen a Corvair with non-hub centric wheels shear off the
lug-studs?  I think if this hasn't become a "known" issue in 45+ years of
people putting such wheels on the cars (and many even racing them that way)
then it isn't any kind of real issue.

I know I'm an oddball in the way I look at things, but I play the odds.  It
is more dangerous to get in your car and head out on the road than it is to
go bungie jumping, skydiving, swimming/boating in thunderstorms etc....
and I bet the liklihood of having 5 good lug studs break due to non
hub-centric wheels is like to the odds of being struck by lightning... I'll
take my chances and have my fun....  others are free to live in a "bubble".

Ray "Grymm" Rodriguez III
Lake Ariel, PA
CORSA member
66' Corsa 140/4 coupe
65' Corsa 140/4 coupe (under construction and almost done!)
63' Monza PG coupe (under construction- quickie driver build)

#1 Energy Pick of the Decade!
AEGY, the forefront of green, renewable energy. Explosive Gains!
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3141/4c28df11cee948a4a7st04duc