<VV> Hub-centric wheel - no one seems to have mentioned centering

craig nicol nicolcs at aol.com
Tue Jun 29 10:34:55 EDT 2010

All the responses I've read have "centered" around lug nut shearing while
(unless I have missed it) no one has mentioned centering. A hub-centric
wheel is guaranteed to center the same every time.

Here's how I rank wheels for centering

1 - Steel wheel with diaphragm centering (our stock wheel)
2 - Aluminum hub-centric
3 - Steel lug-centric (new)
4 - Steel lug-centric (worn)
5 - Uni-lug (slotted "daisy pattern" holes

Regarding what I call "diaphragm centering", our stock wheels actually clamp
to the hub. As the lug nuts are tightened after running them down, the
center of the steel wheel flexes and closes as it is drawn down to the hub.
When all is working correctly, this closing action snugs the center hole to
the hub -  a very secure arrangement that centers the wheel nicely and takes
all the shear loads off the wheel studs.

Craig Nicol