<VV> Corvette vs. Corvair

kenpepke at juno.com kenpepke at juno.com
Mon Mar 1 07:19:30 EST 2010

Everyone looks with their own eyes.  I see an 'old car guy' and I would think at least some congratulations, or at least some kind of acknowledgment is due, but probably not expected.

Apparently the seller cared enough to rescue the parts in the first place even though they were of no value/use to him.  And he also went to some bother to offer them for sale.  Sounds like the Corvette guy's greatest interest was in getting the Corvair parts to someone that could use them and not how much money he could make on his 'find.'  I have done that same thing myself ... many times.  It is like that with a lot of us 'old car guys and gals.  It is what we do.
Ken P

************************

airvair at earthlink.net wrote:

I wouldn't be too quick to congratulate him. The key phrase is "the seller
placed NO VALUE on the Corvair parts...." It was only by happy circumstance
that he was able to "unload" the "worthless" Corvair parts. Had your
friend
not happend along, he might have indeed returned them to the dumpster.

But at least the Corvair parts WERE saved. That is the important thing, and
I won't look a gift horse in the mouth.

-Mark

The Corvette vs. Corvair argument is also a two way street.

A friend of mine met a guy who was selling a lot of NOS Corvair parts. When
he inquired as to the price of the Corvair items, he got the "make me an
offer on the package lot" as a reply. My friend made him a low ball offer
to see where the guy stood and figured the bargaining would now start. To
his surprise, the guy said, "sold".

They completed the deal and as my friend was about to leave, the seller
informed him that all the parts came out of a dumpster. He had been
dumpster diving for Corvette parts at a recently closed dealership and also
pulled out the "other" NOS parts thinking that someone would be interested.

The seller placed NO VALUE on the Corvair parts and would have let ALL the
parts go for ANY offer, as all he really wanted was the Corvette parts. So
here is a time where the Corvair guys benefited from the Corvette guys.

Roy - Bayshore