<VV> Origin of "Bone-Stock"?

airvair at earthlink.net airvair at earthlink.net
Mon Mar 1 00:47:16 EST 2010

Your last line is the key. I think almost all Corvair people are not concerned with "numbers-matching" status as much as some Corvette people are.

About all I concern myself with in relation to "stock" is 1) factory "stock" conponents, 2) factory installed options, and 3) factory-approved, dealer-installed options. The only reason for any of it is for concours show purposes, as I'm a CORSA concours judge. Pure stock needs to have accurate components to be considered "stock". But even CORSA is not concerned with matching up numbers on engines, drive trains, body tags, glass, etc. As one person emailed me privately said, being that anal takes the fun out of the hobby.

Personally, I don't see any "fun" in having a car that isn't totally to my liking. And that is what I bet most people have when they pursue a "pure numbers-matching" vehicle. Maybe they don't particularly like the color, or equipment, etc. of their car, but something isn't exactly right. It just doesn't match how they'd have ordered the car had they had the opportunity. "Numbers-matching" may be intellectually interesting, but what fun is having a car you really don't like?

The late Vincent Price, a noted art collector, once advised people to buy what you like. If it goes up in value, great. But if it doesn't, you at least you have the pleasure of owning it. If you don't really like it, you don't even have that.

-Mark