<VV> PG plug 'n play or switch to 4-speed ?/ additonal comment

HallGrenn at aol.com HallGrenn at aol.com
Mon Mar 1 17:24:41 EST 2010

In a message dated 3/1/2010 1:45:14 PM Eastern Standard Time,
bryan at skiblack.com writes:

If you  haven't already, you might first change the fluid and replace the
vacuum  hoses.  PGs don't really deteriorate much from sitting, so that isn't
 much of a factor.

--Bryan

Sorry I'm coming in late on this, but I agree completely with Bryan based
on my experience.  Decades ago I wouild just top off the tranny, replace
the hoses and go.  Now I would drop the pan to clean it and check for metal
shavings or other debris--but then, unless there was a lot of metal I would
just  replace the gasket, fluid, hoses and go.  I have one that has about
200k  that was severely overloaded once (overheated the fluid) and, after a
fluid  change still works.

Bob Hall
Group Corvair
Corvanatics