<VV> professional repair

shortle shortle556 at earthlink.net
Mon Mar 1 22:16:43 EST 2010

And yet still another viewpoint on "professionals". I bought my first Corvair in 1977 and started to work on it/fix it up myself with the help of our local neighborhood mechanic who was also into Corvairs. This is a guy who's been into these cars probably 40 years now. I had him reseal my diff. for me a couple of years ago and he promptly ruined it by "setting it up" for me. I was lucky I got 900 miles out of it. I had a couple of carbs rebuilt by a guy that owned his own Corvair shop for 20 years. I couldn't make these run properly and had other problems with them.I found throttle shafts very loose and worn as well as 2 different sized metering jets (one was a 49 and one was a 51).  I had a self proclaimed "carb master" rebuild my '69 carbs and he didn't even bolt in the venturi clusters on the secondaries and gave me carb tops that were jammed up against the smog pump and then he tells me "They only made 1 secondary top for all 140's and maybe I have incorrect equipment on my car" (28,000 miles original with original paint, top, interior, engine, etc.).I then bought Bob Helts book on Corvair Rochester carbs and redid them myself. Now I will let only a couple of people near my Corvairs as these "professionals" are butchers with big egos not accepting responsibility.In fact I pretty much do all my own stuff these days now that I have help in my shop and more of my own free time.
Timothy Shortle in Durango Colorado
Fed up with Corvair "professionals" with egos