<VV> Origin of "Bone-Stock"?

Eric S. Eberhard flash at vicsmba.com
Tue Mar 2 13:50:41 EST 2010

Believe it or not, though, it can be fun to try and figure out what
the correct bolt is, get it, install it.  It is the fun of restoring
correctly, the fun if the research, the fun of hunting for whatever
the piece is, and often making it.  One person called it
"intellectually fun" and that is how I view it.  I enjoy the process.

Funny story.  My brother has a WWII military Jeep that he fully
restored "bone stock."  Jeeps were made by many companies at that
time, including Ford, and had minor differences.  His is a Ford.  One
difference is that all the bolt heads have an "F" engraved in the top
of them (hard to imagine why they did that for a throw-away
vehicle?).  They did not exist new, and any old ones are damaged,
ugly, or stressed.  So my brother (an architect) recreated the design
of the F script exactly on his computer, programmed it in to a
machine at a machine shop owned by another family member, developed a
tray to hold a bunch of bolts face up, and had the machine cut him
thousands of bolts in all sizes with the correct "F" on them.  He did
it for his own restoration, but made a lot more because machine setup
was more than the cost of the bolts.  So he had a lot left over.  So
he created an Internet company to sell them, and did quite
well.  Well enough to make more runs.

The name of his company?  F'ing Bolt Company (really) and it did well
for a decade until he ran out of bolts and lost interest.

Eric

Eric S. Eberhard
(928) 567-3727          Voice
(928) 567-6122          Fax
(928) 301-7537                           Cell

For Metropolis support and VICS MBA Support!!!!    http://www.vicsmba.com

Fun personal pictures:  Includes horses, dogs, Corvairs, and
more.  http://www.vicsmba.com/ourpics/index.html

However, most new pictures are on Facebook.