<VV> professional repair

Tony Underwood tony.underwood at cox.net
Wed Mar 3 23:59:28 EST 2010

At 10:38 AM 3/2/2010, Harry Yarnell wrote:
>No, you're not a wimp. Upholstery work has to be perfect, or it looks like
>hell.
>I know when to farm out work, and upholstery is one of them.

I hung out with Eddie M. at his workplace which happened to be an
upholstery shop and did this for about a week while on vacation.   I
wanted to learn everything I could about car upholstery since it was
expensive work to have done and I was cheap.

So far, it's been quite helpful... including some tricks about
headliners... we "scratch-built" a headliner out of a single sheet of
light blue vinyl material...  traced it, cut it, stitched it, fitted
it, and installed it in the '67 coupe all in one evening after
work...  next day we drove the car to the Ft Monroe Virginia Vair
Fair... with its new homebrew headliner, no longer with sections of
the old one hanging and flapping in the breeze (car had recently been
purchased and was getting spruce-up on the fly).

That was almost ten tears ago.    Headliner still looks exactly the
way it looked then... except better (sunheat shrank the material
snug, couple of wrinkles in the corners went away).    Total cost was
about 12 bucks.    And, it was done in a hurry, installed in the car
via the dome light and a flashlight since we needed to hit the road
early the next morning.

For my next trick:

Hopefully I'm gonna sorta-reproduce something fairly close to the
original seats for the '60 4-door, got the materials, only need some
extra time to do it now.

tony..