<VV> 4 Speed Case

kenharri at comcast.net kenharri at comcast.net
Sun Mar 7 18:24:31 EST 2010

Greetings,

I have a problem.  I was intending to fix another one of a PO's legacies yesterday.  The 4 speed on my '64 Greenbrier had only one spacer installed where the transmission bolts to the crossmember. It is on the left.  I obtained the correct spacer and as I was attemping to remove the bolt on the right side when head snapped off.  On ispection it was evident that the bolt had been cracked for quite some time (I am glad it did not let go on the road.  Also, the hole that the remainder of the bolt is still lodged in on the transmission has a small chunk cracked off around the threading.  My questions are:

What is the '64 4 speed case made out of?  It appears to be aluminum?

What is the availability and price range for a case or complete transmission?  Which route do you recommend?  Does anyone out there have a spare they are willing to part with in the SE PA area?

Do you think there is a chance that the old bolt can be drilled out without damaging the case further? (I expect to have the LH bolt break also)

Thanks

Kent Harrington

1964 Greenbrier