<VV> A new (to me) distributor failure

Doug Mackintosh dougmackintosh at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 7 18:41:31 EST 2010

I'm sure someone else has seen one of these, but in my years of experience, this is the first time I've had a mechanical advance fail like this. This was on my daughter's 1964 Spyder. My guess is that one of the screws holding the advance weight cover backed out. Either the screw then wedged in a bad spot, or the cover deflected at high RPM. At some point the weight cover hung on something stationary (either the housing or the underside of the points plate). One end of the weight cover was still attached, so it proceeded to wrap the weight cover around the distributor cam shaft, until it ripped the other end of the weight cover free. As it wrapped around, it managed to clip the tips off 3 weight spring pins. Eventually the screw wedged itself between the weight base (part of the distributor shaft) and the housing, twisting the (firmly locked down) distributor housing around until the advance/retard pot hit the idler pully guard. The distributor cap
 also broke at one holddown screw location (presumed collateral damage). When it was all over, the point opening was about 1/8" (such that they would not close) even though it had been driven to that resting point - not sure what moved the point adjustment - the points plate does not appear to be seriously damaged.

Not sure of the exact sequence of events, but the car had symptoms of wimpy performance for some time (probably when the mechanical advance stopped functioning properly). It then stalled and would not restart. Resetting the ignition timing got it to restart and run a few miles, then it stalled again.

I've attached a couple of photos for your edification.
 -- Doug Mackintosh
Corsa member since 1996
Corsa/NC member since 1996, Virtual Vairs member
Corvair owner 1969-1971 and 1996-on