<VV> CO Question <correction>

Dale Dewald dkdewald at pasty.net
Mon Mar 8 00:29:17 EST 2010

At 21:52 3/07/2010 -0500, Dave Thompson wrote:

 >Is CO heavier than air?

No, the carbon monoxide molecule is one carbon atom of atomic mass 12 plus
one oxygen atom of atomic mass 16 for a total of 28. Nitrogen, N2, which
makes up 78% of our atmosphere, is a molecule of two nitrogen atoms of mass
14 each, also for a total 28. This is one of the things that makes CO so
dangerous, its density is almost the same as air. It neither rises
harmlessly away or collects in low areas, but wafts about at the whim of
prevailing air currents.

 >Where would be the best place to mount my CO alarm?
Under the dash or under the seats?

The best place would be at the level where it might be breathed in. Front
and center on the dash would be good, but I would also consider the toe
panel near the heater outlet. I would worry that air flow and therefore
responsiveness of the alarm would NOT be as good under the seats.

Dale Dewald
Hancock, MI