<VV> First Time with NASA. Phoenix Intl Raceway

Mark Aksamit mark at vintagecarcare.info
Mon Mar 8 16:41:04 EST 2010

The weather finally cooperated and I got to run the 67 at PIR on Saturday.
The track was GREAT! It really favored Corvairs! I ran a NASA event for the
first time and I must say it is an impressive organization. They put me in
HPDE 2 which is a beginner class with prior driving experience,
unfortunately they mixed us in with HPDE 1 which are first timers. It was
hard at times to get a clear fast lap without having to pass big euro 4
doors. NASA puts a lot of emphasis on driving technique and they have a
MANDATORY class room briefing after each run group. No briefing no run time.

PIR is a combined track that uses the Nascar Oval in conjunction with a
rather curvy infield. There is no substitute for horsepower on the oval but
I was always able to get it back on the infield. The courteous drivers would
let you by leading on to the straights. Many realized I would just be in
their rear view once we got back to the straight again. The cars that seemed
quickest in the group were the NEW Lotus Elise. I don't know much about them
but they seemed a perfect match for this type of track. Needless to say they
were really to only car that my Vair couldn't keep up with.

The cost of the day at the track was in that $170 range. For that money I
got about 80 minutes of seat time and of course about an hour and a half of
mandatory classroom time. NASA is very profitable if you are still learning
the fast line, contol and just want to be a better driver. I am planning on
attending the next NASA event in April. If you are interested in joining me
email me off list at mark at vintagecarcare .info
<mailto:mark%40vintagecarcare.info>

My Corvair was definetly the oldest car there and was a great topic for BS
sessions throughout the day. Many people were suprised just how fast a 43
year old car could go. The weather was great and the car ran just as well!

Great Day at the Track!

As always my son Austin was the cameraman and shot several videos of  "the
ol man" out there doing his thing.

Here are the links, they are brief.

http://www.youtube. <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ChXXnNlPM0I>  com/watch?
v=ChXXnNlPM0I
http://www.youtube. <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InJn-HUzXQM>  com/watch?
v=InJn-HUzXQM

Let me know what experiences you have had with NASA?

Mark Aksamit