<VV> Just me Complainin'

Harry Jensen, Executive Secretary corsa at corvair.org
Mon Mar 8 16:49:32 EST 2010

Hi--

Wow Tim, you covered a lot here. Let me just focus on some...

[Comments in text.]

On 3/8/2010 1:06 PM, Tim Verthein wrote:
> The Communique should be a quarterly, be 50-70 pages and be all feature articles, photos, display ads, show reviews, tech info. All the club news, monthly minutes, classifieds, etc.. things of a more "immediate" nature should be on the web page.

The Board is looking for member's comments. Many are on VV, but to reach
all of them, it is probably better to post the Board list:
corsabod at corvair.org

I believe one has to understand that probably a half of our membership
is not on the 'net. By posting member content only on the web means that
50% will not receive it.

  Tim continued:
> Bob - I just read that display rates have been reduced with the April issue. The notes in the minutes confuse me... they're going back to the APril 2009 rates + 15%? So, how much did they go up before the back to 4/09 + 15 plan?

Last year's rates? Go to:

http://www.corvair.org/csaindex.php?csaact=cmqad

That page still has the old display ad rates.

An explanation of the new rates is in the column just to the left of the
column with the minutes under the heading of: Communique Advertising
Rates Reduced

  Tim continued:
> Looking over that accounting review (2008 since apparently that's the most recent available) that amazing insurance that's such a great benefit to us all... amounts to 2.93 percent of CORSA's expenses. So why is it that everyone has to scream and whine about how the non CORSA chapter members are taking advantage of us by having coverage? It's a miniscule piece of the overall pie... and I'm betting that were anything to happen to one of us in conjunction with a chapter event, CORSA insurance doesn't kick in until our own personal auto insurance has had a shot at covering it -- and it covers costs beyond what our own coverage covers. Methinks that since this insurance is such a wonderful thing -- that the general provisions of the policy should be provided to we the members, so we see what we're getting. Kind of like how your own health insurance doesn't kick in until they're damn sure that any injury didn't happen at work or involve a car.

The insurance is a benefit to the chapters, not individuals. It is
Comprehensive Liability Insurance. We need $2 million coverage as it is
a requirement for more and more municipalities. It covers the chapters
and CORSA. It is NOT auto insurance.

Without insurance, many of the local chapter events could not be held,
because if a chapter is doing a mall show or even appearing in a parade,
the chapter needs to provide an insurance certificate.

But why the cost of insurance is mentioned in conjunction with non-CORSA
members is that it is the single most tangible benefit CORSA provides to
chapters and to chapters alone, and the only one which benefits those
people who are not CORSA members.

  Tim continued:
> Web administration was over $4000 in 2008. For 2010 they have it split up 2316 for administration, 900 for hosting. Don't know exactly what "administration" includes, but for $900 you're getting hosed on hosting.

Hosing? Don't bet on it. Bryan hosts the server and provides support for
not only VV and the rest of the lists, but all of the chapters. It is a
thankless job. And I guess you've just illustrated that point.

In 2008, we paid for hosting in January and December 2008. The December
2008 hosting invoice was for 2009.

  Tim continued:
> It's going to be interesting to see what percentage of voter turnout we have for BOD. The only "contest" is for Eastern Division. Central there's 2, vote for 2, and Western there's 1, vote for 1. Bet the returns are stronger in the Eastern Division. I mean really now-- to vote I have to either give up the protective cover on my very expensive magazine, or make a copy. After I make the copy I have to use up an envelope and a stamp, and go mail it -- to simply check off the one guy running for one position in my division. I see no space for, or instructions pertaining to, any write ins, not that there's be any chance that any others would ever write in the same people so it's kind of pointless. Easy to see why people aren't lining up to run. Maybe we should have a new law that says each chapter must provide at least one candidate for the division every time there's a BOD opening! No one in the chapter wants to be on the BOD, the chapter is out. That'll get
>   'em interested!

It is also interesting to note that the one thing an individual member
can do to offer choices to his fellow members in Board elections is to
run for the Board. Not a complaint, just an observation.

--H

--