<VV> front cross member

Rick Norris ricknorris at suddenlink.net
Wed Mar 10 12:20:06 EST 2010

In all the front crossmembers I have removed I have never been able to get
all the bolts out with out messing up the cage which is just sheet metal or
breaking the bolt.
Of course I live in the rust belt somewhat too. My experience says one or
more nuts will "spin" inside the cage. You can jam a screwdriver into the
opening on the side of the cage to hold the nut while you try to loosen it.
If the cage has been ripped up you have to wedge a wrench onto the square
nut to hold it. I have had to cut the head off the boll to get the
crossmember out then, chisel off the cage. I have rewelded the cage back in
place and replaced all the mounting hardware. I have also removed the cages
and left them off. Your option.

Rick Norris
#36 Sunoco Corvair
www.corvairalley.com