<VV> DISTRIB FAILURE

FrankCB frankcb at aol.com
Wed Mar 10 16:08:05 EST 2010

John,
     Well, it certainly can make a difference in the performance of the engine.  When I bought my 180 years ago, I found out after driving it home (about 30 miles) that it had a VACUUM advance from a NA Corvair on the distributor.  The only thing saving the engine from too much advance was that the vacuum "pot" had a leak so the car had NO advance and NO retard.  It was running at a FIXED 24 degrees under all conditions.  Later I changed it for a functioning VACUUM advance and used an electronic knock sensor to retard the timing.
     IMHO, the stock turbo Corvairs suffered from having NO vacuum advance.  I think that's why so many MORE 140s were sold than 180s!!
     So there are various ways to tailor ignition timing for our Corvair engines.
Frank "stock is a good beginning" Burkhard