<VV> ya want paper or plastic? was: Communique and the Internet

airvair at earthlink.net airvair at earthlink.net
Wed Mar 10 19:03:47 EST 2010

This week I was researching thru my back issues of the CC for some
information, when I stumbled over, in the September '85 issue, a reprint of
an article for the Fisher Body Craftsman's Guild that laid out and defined
a number of common industry standard terms. I was reminded of a recent
fight on VV concerning that subject, where one beligerant individual in
particular insisted that I "prove" something was commonplace in the
industry. There laid before me in the pages of the CC was that proof. And I
would have never have found it had I had to rely on a computerized database.

THAT is the value of paper. It's why I use my PAPER parts catalogs all the
time. And I've found parts that I needed to know about just by "stumbling"
upon them thru leafing thru the catalog. You simply can't do that on a
computer. And that is something computer geeks just don't comprehend. I've
run into this "problem" in recent years at the car dealer's parts counter,
where the parts jocky can't find something, simply because the computer
won't allow him to browse the pages after a certain part. And I KNOW I
could have found it in a paper catalog, as I have so many times before.

Gawd, I love my paper catalogs and magazines!

-Mark

Communique which I received each month like Christmas gifts by a kid.
Today, if the Communique arrives or not (some are lost on transit) lost
importance as most of my interests in Corvairs are full filled thru the net
(instantly !). I am pretty sure we are no more on the 20th century but on
21st. I have 250-300 Communiques and still don't know what to do with them.
>    I totally agree with those who think that the Communique should go
back to quarterly paper editions. I don't agree with the costly monthly
edition which caused (IMO) dues increase. With so much info thru the net...
who needs (except paper collectors) the Communique in the current way ?