<VV> airbag deploy-no corvair

Vairtec Corporation Vairtec at optonline.net
Fri Mar 12 12:43:07 EST 2010

Harry Yarnell wrote:
> I know this is off topic, BUT, a friend of mine hit a curb with a '97 Nissan and deployed the airbag. The garage says it'll cost her $2500 to repair and that if she doesn't get it replaced, the car will shut down.
> I told her that probably was BS, but is it?

My wife crashed her '94 Nissan Altima and blew the airbags.  (Blew her
eyeglasses into several pieces and left her looking like I beat her, too).

Anyway, the car remained drivable so I simply cut away the airbag
carcasses and drove the car until the insurance situation was settled
and the car went into the repair shop.  So, I vote for "BS," I don't
think your friend's car will shut down.

However, I suppose there may be something in the computer that after a
certain length of time says, "okay, turkey, you're still driving this
thing without having gotten the airbags fixed, so I'm not going to let
you do that any more," and prevents the car from starting.

Let's see, no airbags and the car might quit.  How much of a gambler is
your friend?

--Bob Marlow