<VV> 60s economy ride

Chris & Bill Strickland lechevrier at earthlink.net
Sat Mar 13 15:53:28 EST 2010

We had a Morris Minor dealership in the town where I grew up , so they
were quite common there in the late fifties, early sixties -- and nobody
bought a "new" car for economy, they bought used cars 'cause they were
less money, ie, more economical.  The mpg was not an economy
consideration in those days, as gas was insignificantly cheap, but the
cost of the car and insurance was what made it economical (or not), and
little, used, low hp cars were way cheaper to insure for a teenage son.
A Vette would often have higher insurance payments than car payments. We
had a Chrysler New Yorker, and later, a Jag sedan, for a family car in
those days, plus a plethora of Morris Minors (still own a Traveler), a
DKW, and yes, a VW bug (which my sister rolled) and a bit later, the 356
Porsche that I now have via purchase (Dad wasn't gonna just "give" a
Porsche away, although it too was a used $400 "economy" car when he
bought it).

If you bought a New Corvair, it was because you wanted a new car, not an
economy car, and thought that rear engine to get around in the winter
like the VW's was a good idea, but you didn't want one of those tiny
German cars -- after all, you landed on the beach in Normandy and
survived, and you didn't wnt to give the Germans a second crack at you
(recall, above, I described what my sister did to the one VW Dad had
bought ...).  Don't know how the Porsche got through after that -- I
think Mom thought it was "cute", and she could be quite persuasive in
those days, fully understanding the value of "cute".

My first, and second, and third, etc, Corvairs were "economy" cars --
bought in the early 70's for $25-$50, until I fell in love with that
Corsa dash instrument cluster and bought a drivable 140 '65 Corsa coupe
out of a wrecking yard for $200 (eeew - Big Spender), followed by a
slightly wrecked 66 Corsa Vert 180.  By then I must've been thinking I
was rich -- paid $350, in installments.  Stilll less than Dad paid for
that Porsche ...

Bill Strickland