<VV> Now tires - a little Corvair

Bruce Schug bwschug at att.net
Sat Mar 13 21:13:14 EST 2010

On Mar 13, 2010, at 7:33 PM, Ken Clark wrote:

> How old do you think a tire should/must be replaced even if it isn't
> worn out?
> My van tires(Michelin) were made in '02, which may be getting to
> their limit.  Most Corvair tires never get worn out if you drive
> less than 5M per year.  I thought my Corvair tires were fairly new,
> but looking at the dates they go back to '03..   Ken

 From the Tire Rack web site:

"Our experience has been that when properly stored and cared for, most
street tires have a useful life in service of between six to ten
years. And while part of that time is spent as the tire travels from
the manufacturing plant to the manufacturer's distribution center, to
the retailer and to you, the remainder is the time it spends on your
vehicle.

Tires that have been in use for five (5) years or more should be
carefully inspected periodically for external signs of aging. While
this inspection will confirm the condition of the exterior rubber, it
cannot assess internal degradation or damage.

Previously unused, never-mounted tires should not be put into service
if they are more than six (6) years old even if they were properly
stored.

All tires (including spare tires) manufactured more than ten (10)
years previously should be removed from service and be replaced as a
precaution, even if such tires appear serviceable and have not reached
the legal wear limit."

For the long answer:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=138

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=183

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=184

Part of your decision would hinge on how you use your car.  Easy
cruising, parades, shows, etc. is one thing.  Long interstate drives
or aggressive driving another.

Bruce

Bruce W. Schug
CORSA South Carolina