<VV> Car History Question -- No Corvair

Jim Houston jhouston001 at cfl.rr.com
Sun Mar 14 09:42:28 EDT 2010

Bill H. wrote:  "I remember seeing a number of Renault Dauphines in
those years, a rear-engine air cooled competitor for the Bug."

The Renault Dauphine was liquid cooled.   Like the VW, the engine was in
the rear. Being water-cooled, the Dauphine had better heating. There was
a rather large and useful trunk up front. The spare was located in its
own compartment below the trunk accessed through an opening behind the
license plate. My neighbor had one and I remember helping him put
anti-freeze in once.  (The beep-beep, boop-boop horn was neat, though)..

Dauphin engine <http://yfrog.com/j6renaultdauphinemotor195j>

Jim Houston