<VV> Now tires - a little Corvair

Tony Underwood tony.underwood at cox.net
Mon Mar 15 01:56:46 EDT 2010

At 06:39 PM 3/14/2010, Bruce Schug wrote:

>On Mar 14, 2010, at 6:00 PM, Ken Clark wrote:
>
> > That is good information to know and then again it depends on how
> > you use your vehicles.  If it's an occasional drive to the store
> > it's not as important to have the newest as when you cruise on the
> > iterstates at 75-80+ MPH.  Just got back from 1000 mile trip to
> > Florida and back.  Saw numerous vehicles along the highway with flat
> > tires and not all of them were older clunkers.  Most of my tires on
> > my vehicles will go at least 10 years except the Camaro which gets
> > driven the most and it's "Tire Rack" tires will go maybe 3-4 years
> > at most.  Ken
> >

>I think most experts would suggest that anyone using tires over ten
>years old over 30 mph should have either a death wish or good life
>insurance; maybe both.

...like the experts who insist Toyotas are safe?    And that modern
electronics like DBW make things much more dependable and
reliable?   Like tires today that those "experts" say shouldn't be
used if over 5 years old... while a cheap-ass '70s vintage Goodrich
tire seems to have lasted over 3 decades without dismantling
itself... or a car that's too dangerous to be driven on the highways
in this day and age because it's obsolete and there for
"unsafe".    Let's redesign everything to last 5 years then
self-destruct... so that we can all go out and buy it again.

Scare everyone into becoming participants in a throw-away society
hell-bent on "global warming", 2012 catastrophe, and Orwellian
viewpoints on society, technology, and industry which designs and
engineers a planned obsolescence while promising us Utopian futures
where we all drive Jetson cars that don't need tires.

Isn't modern technology a wonderful thing.

Luddite, I'm not.   However-  There's more than simplicity that makes
me drive a 50 year old car where I wanna go.

The ten year old Michelins on the Jeep will remain there until I have
reason to replace them.

tony..    no death wish, no life insurance, not much patience