<VV> Oil filter adaptor

Brian Terry beterry at mijes.com
Tue Mar 16 22:01:18 EDT 2010

Good evening -

I needed to replace the gasket under the oil filter adaptor on my '65 Monza and have a couple of questions which I cannot seem to find in the archives, assembly manual or service manual.

1)  What is the correct torque for the five bolts which hold the oil filter adaptor to the engine?  The only reference I can find in the assembly manual to this piece is on page A3 in section 6 which identifies the adaptor  but doesn't show the torque for the bolts.  Interestingly, there are two torque "triangles" on the page with no values assigned to them.

2)  I replaced the oil filter bypass located in the adaptor (seemed like a good idea since I had it apart), but then I noticed that there appears to be a second oil filter bypass located below the adaptor, directly under where the oil pressure sensor would sit.  What is the purpose of that and should I replace that also since I have it apart?  The spring in it seems to function, just wondering if I should do it since it is already apart.

Thanks in advance!

Brian
beterry at mijes.com

'65 Monza convertible