<VV> Oil filter adaptor install

Sethracer at aol.com Sethracer at aol.com
Wed Mar 17 01:19:58 EDT 2010

In a message dated 3/16/2010 7:01:24 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
beterry at mijes.com writes:

Good  evening -

I needed to replace the gasket under the oil filter adaptor  on my '65
Monza and have a couple of questions which I cannot seem to find in  the
archives, assembly manual or service manual.

1)  What is the  correct torque for the five bolts which hold the oil
filter adaptor to the  engine?  The only reference I can find in the assembly
manual to this  piece is on page A3 in section 6 which identifies the adaptor
but  doesn't show the torque for the bolts.  Interestingly, there are two
torque "triangles" on the page with no values assigned to  them.

Shop Manual says 7-13 ft. lbs. (5/16-18 thread into aluminum). Threads
clean but not lubed. I would add sealer to ONE side of the gasket. Some folks
don't, though. Your call! make sure the surfaces are clean though.

2)  I replaced the oil filter bypass located in the  adaptor (seemed like a
good idea since I had it apart), but then I noticed  that there appears to
be a second oil filter bypass located below the adaptor,  directly under
where the oil pressure sensor would sit.  What is the  purpose of that and
should I replace that also since I have it apart?   The spring in it seems to
function, just wondering if I should do it since it  is already apart.

The Corvair motor has two bypasses, one for the filter and one for the oil
cooler. Unless it is broken or stuck (open or closed) you should leave it
alone.  They are staked in place. make sure your replacement is.

Thanks in  advance!

Brian
beterry at mijes.com

Seth  Emerson

C's the Day! - Corvair, Camaro,  Corvette