<VV> Oil, No Corvair

Bill Elliott corvair at fnader.com
Wed Mar 17 07:40:11 EDT 2010

There are oil experts who say that you should use the lightest oil that you
can keep sufficient pressure with.... there are guys running around in
Ferraris that call for 10W-50 oil and running 0W-20.

But I think this is valid only if you can accurately measure the oil
pressure and know that the oil you've selected in keeping sufficient
pressure.

In modern cars, I think only the temperature at cold start is really
critical... otherwise they are going to run pretty close to the same
operating temps. So I think San Diego likely means that the 5W versus the 0W
is okay, but not necessarily the 30 versus 40.

I doubt the 30 weight oil is going to cause serious issues, but were it my
car, I'd put 40 in it.

Bill