<VV> How MUCH Phosphorus and Zink?[sic]

Dale Dewald dkdewald at pasty.net
Thu Mar 18 10:30:55 EDT 2010

At 21:25 3/17/2010 -0400, J R Read_HML wrote:

>I'm unable to find Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck  5W40 on the shelf locally.
>That is what I've been using.  It has 1100 PPM of Phosphorus and 1200 PPM of
>Zink.

I think we will be seeing fewer oil formulations for diesel applications
that contain the higher ZDDP levels on general merchandise store
shelves.  Since 2007, pretty much all highway diesel vehicles have been
equipped with catalytic converters which require ULSD and low ZDDP
oils.  The default product lines will be geared for this market.  However,
there a millions of older trucks and machines (which tend to have a long
life span) still in use. The proper oils will be available for these
engines but you may have to look for it at supply houses, FLAPS or on-line
and plan ahead.

What one has to look for are oils formulated for pre-2007 diesel engines
without the CJ-4 rating.  It is best to read Mr. Widman's article:
http://www.widman.biz/uploads/Corvair_oil.pdf

One nice thing about Amsoil is that they carry several specific lines of
engine oils clearly identified for use in pre-2007 diesel engines.  In
particular, Type HDD 5W-30, Type ACD SAE30/10W-30, and Type AMO 10W-40
would be suitable for the Corvair.  These are all rated CI-4/SL and have
approximately 1250 ppm P and Zn.

>What is the minimum we should be using in Vair engines?

This depends on the overall package of the oil base stock (regular or
synthetic) and the additives.  It is likely that a premium synthetic oil
with a minimum of P and Zn may perform better than a mineral oil with high
levels of P and Zn.

>There is a Mobil 1 High Mileage in three viscosity choices - 5W30, 10W30,
>and 10W40 - which has an SL rating, but the counts are lower.  900
>Phosphorus and 1000 Zink.  Is that one sufficient for Vairs?

I think that these might work fine on an engine that has been broken-in and
has no other issues, but I would not want to go lower.  The synthetic
formula of these Mobil 1 products likely makes up for the somewhat reduced
levels of Phosphorous and Zinc.

Dale Dewald
Hancock, MI