<VV> How MUCH Phosphorus and Zinc?

BobHelt at aol.com BobHelt at aol.com
Thu Mar 18 18:44:18 EDT 2010

In a message dated 3/18/2010 3:28:12 P.M. US Mountain Standard Time,
flash at vicsmba.com writes:

And from  my reading, lack of
zinc is what causes the rounded cam problems.  I  had two engines go
flat on the cam lobes in less then 8000 miles.   Both were broken in
the "traditional way" using 30 wgt dino oil of the  mechanic's
choice.  When I tore them apart and put a new cam in, and  on a third
engine I rebuilt thankfully once, I broke them in with the  Mobil
1.  It says on their site it is safe for break  in.

Well it could have been the oil that was the problem, but also a very
possible cause were soft lifters or even bad cam lobes, not properly hardened.
You will probably never know for sure but my guess is that it wasn't the oil
 that caused your problems. And as I said, the presence of zinc and the
amount is  not required or spec'd in today's oils.
Regards,
Bob Helt