<VV> NCIS-LA 1955 Porsche Spyder understeer ?

Charles Lee Chaz at ProperProPer.com
Sat Mar 20 03:23:42 EDT 2010

Bill and Sharon -

Thanks for the enlightenment - the TV show (obviously not "reality" depicted
a memory of painting the road with her Porsche "back in the day" so it was
ostnsibly an original.

A friend of mine who still loves Corvairs but races BMWs (and loves his old
Bavaria) says that great thing about poor handling cars is that you get to
the "interesting" situations much sooner and at lower speeds, with the same
thrill, and much less expensive !

You can get really exciting in a Ford Falcon without going nearly as fast !

Probably not what what we want in a car though ?

I prefer oversteer, since you can always turn the wheel less, but once you
hit lock in an understeering car, what do you do ?  (Besides a lot of prior
heel 'n toe to prevent getting there in the first place ?)

Charlie

Anymore, in reality (not TV land), no one has enough money to actually
drive a real 550 on the street, so it was probably a replicar, and who
knows how a replica might handle without some empirical testing of that
particular vehicle.

The few real 550's I've seen have all been vintage racers, not counting
the 'Lil Bastard" replica, which again, is a replica.

No idea if real 550's understeer or oversteer, probably some
Porschephilic book addresses it, but I do know that mid-engine cars are
a tad less than predictable once you've gone past the point of full
control ...  it's just harder to get there, which makes the results all
that more "interesting".

Bill