<VV> About coils (was Intermittent problem)

Daniel Monasterio dmonasterio at hotmail.com
Sun Mar 21 00:54:31 EDT 2010

   The problem on Jim's car reminded me on a trouble I got on my 62 Rampside for several months. It ran fine on city and roads but, couldn't pass exhaust emissions tests (mandatory in my place). No matter what I tried on carbs, wires, plug gaping, timing, etc., it always showed excess of HC (unburned Hydrocarbons). The coil showed good spark on plugs too.

   Then, accidentaly found on my stash, and old (analogic) "ignition tester" bought at a flea market time ago. Then, tried it on testing coils with the following results: Rampside's 8Kv, Greenbrier 64 15 KV, Coupe 67 14 Kv, Ford KA 02 15 Kv. Common sense told me to change Rampy's coil with a good one. Tested output at 15 Kv. Guess what ?... it passed test easily. Mileage increased too. The spark test will only show if the coil is able to work but not how good it is, at least on my experience.

Daniel Monasterio