<VV> Rear axle bearings, late

jvhroberts at aol.com jvhroberts at aol.com
Sat Mar 27 18:48:48 EDT 2010

 Here's how you do wheel bearings, front or rear, for LMs, or front wheel bearings for EMs.

After dismantling and cleaning everything, replace as needed. Make sure the clearances are correct. Pack cones completely, put a coating on the races of the best synthetic grade grease you can find. Mobil 1 grease is a good choice. Reassemble. Don't pack the space between the bearings with grease, as it will NEVER move into the bearings, and a bearing housing with too much grease WILL overheat from shearing the stuff at high speeds, then it'll come out of the seals and onto the brakes. This is the correct procedure. For another source, see:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agxjGtmHV_4
http://www.corvettemagazine.com/technical-articles/c2/84-wheel-bearings.html

Note: This is a VERY different procedure than boat trailer bearings! Those are completely filled with grease to eliminate any water from getting in when they are submerged. Feel a boat trailer bearing after a long drive, they are VERY warm due to the grease moving around. Also, it's common for grease to sling from the seals. Not what you want on your Corvair!

Hence the reason I NEVER put in grease fittings EVER. Also, adding grease fittings to an assembled bearings runs the risk of getting metal chips into the things.

What fails in the original bearings is old grease, then the bearings go dry, and end of life is here! Synthetics don't get dry and hard even after two or three decades or more. This WILL keep your bearings happy for a very long time. My first set failed when the car was 9 years old, and had 100K miles. The present owner of those hubs has put another 140K miles as of 2000, and I rebuilt them in 1974! So, yeah, it works.

John Roberts