<VV> Help!!!!!

Frank DuVal corvairduval at cox.net
Sat Mar 27 21:13:51 EDT 2010

Most people do not have a 1/16" NPT tap. I've never seen one, but they
do exist. Specs are  in Machinery's Handbook. They have 27 threads per inch.

And every automotive threaded Zerk I have is either 1/4-28 or 1/8 NPT.

See here what's available at Applied Industrial Technologies. No 1/16
NPT available.   https://www.applied.com/apps/commerce/catalog/catalog.do

Same thing at McMaster Carr
http://www.mcmaster.com/#grease-fittings/=6en1ia

It seems the 1/4-28 taper is an SAE specification for automotive use.

1/4-28 thread takes a #3 drill,  0.2130"

Unlike what Bill says, the seals are on the outside of the bearings,
just like a front wheel. So, pumping the grease in the hub CAN get to
the bearings. But, it takes a lot and therefore can lead to the problems
Bob stated.

But I forgive Bill, as he is an EARLY man! ggg

I used to do the grease fitting in the hub back in the 80s. I never had
a problem from doing it....

Frank DuVal