<VV> Uses of Corvair parts in other exotic cars

peter koehler pkoehler01 at atlanticbb.net
Sun Mar 28 16:13:27 EDT 2010

Many folks out there know that some of Ford GT race cars
used 1960 Corvair tail lights. I think the GT-40 and
perhaps some later versions like the "J" car used them due
to their light weight. FIA requirements meant that these
purpose-built race cars had to have things like tail
lights, a spare tire and even luggage space. Yeah, I need
a suitcase to run the 24 Hours of LeMans...

Anyway, I was reading about the 1963 Corvette Grand Sport
race cars and noticed that the headlight pods used on them
were very much like the first-design 1960 Corvair part.
Later Corvair headlight units had an indentation on the
backside between the two headlights. Early production 1960
had a flat back - and so did the units mounted on the
Grand Sport Corvettes. Anybody have any info on this? Did
other Chevy's of the '60's share the headlight bucket
configuration with the Corvair? Does this mean that all
first-design Corvair headlight buckets will be scarfed up
by Corvette Grand Sport restoration guys?? Probably not
since they only made five of them... - Caveman Pete