<VV> alternator failure

lewisrishel lewrish at sbcglobal.net
Wed Mar 31 01:14:32 EDT 2010

Had an alternator failure today. Would not have known about it, except that I have a voltmeter in the dash. So when I see a steady 12  volts, and no flicker up to 14 (or close) at fist idle, I know something is amiss. sure enough, the internal regulator failed.
now if you suspect such a happening, you can do a quick check of the regulator on the vehicle, in the alternator. With engine off, switch off, remove the plug from the alt., and  with your digital ohmeter, measure from each of the two alt terminals to  case ground. Both should read 30-35 K ohms. When they fail, this will usually go to infinite (open). Other types of failures can occur, but this is, I think, the most common.
Lew