<VV> EM Reproduction Batteries

Bill Hubbell whubbell at cox.net
Wed Mar 31 10:05:32 EDT 2010

I spoke with the company owner of Restoration Battery today and learned his
company CAN still supply the Early Corvair battery as a Lead-Acid Battery
but NOT as a maintenance-free battery, due to the fact that they can no
longer get a modern power unit that fits inside the case.  Also, before you
ask, although they do have the early repro cases they CANNOT just sell you a
case due to licensing restrictions from GM.

The deal with the Maintenance-free version is that they put a new-technology
gel-core power unit (most were designed for and used by military) into a
reproduction case and then connect the terminals of the power unit
internally to the case terminals.  Unfortunately there is no longer a power
unit small enough and of sufficient power to fit inside the EM reproduction
case.  He doubts they will ever get a proper power unit again, but there is
a possibility that with a large enough order it could be made - he thought
it would be around 300-350 batteries.

I doubt there is a big enough demand for that many EM Stock Reproduction
batteries, but I thought I would post to these lists and see if there is any
interest.  The problem is one of cost - Maintenance-free battery WAS listed
at $240; Lead-Acid is about $200

Here is the link for Group 53 battery (Price shown as Maintenance-free):
http://www.restorationbattery.com/group53.html

Bill Hubbell