<VV> Knowing when to say "When"

peter koehler pkoehler01 at atlanticbb.net
Wed Mar 31 18:56:07 EDT 2010

I, too, hate to see a Corvair get scrapped if there is any
chance for resurrection. Over the years I have tried in
vein to save some Corvairs that really did deserve to die.
I was just too hard headed to accept the obvious. Seems
that when I do say "When" and send a potential project car
to the scrap heap I feel bad about it. How long I feel bad
depends on much I wanted to save said Corvair.

Example: I am still disappointed that I let go of 1960
Corvair #327 back in 1984. Yeah, it was toast. But it was
the oldest known surviving Corvair in the World. Period.
And I let it go... Shame on me!

Another example: I am sorry that I couldn't save Larry
Claypool's Lazarus 1962 Rampside with Toronado power. By
1995 Larry finally figured out that he couldn't give it
enough time and effort and money to bring it back from the
brink. He gave it to me to try. Took me several months to
figure out what Larry already knew. Hey, I never said I
was the smartest Corvair enthusiast around!!

Yet another example: My brother found a well optioned 1966
Corsa turbo convertible for me several years back. It had
been parked along side a garage in the dirt for too many
years. We pulled it out of the hole it was in and hauled
it back to my brother's shop. Man, was it rusty! I didn't
have the skill to replace the bottom  six inches of both
sides of the car. The guy who bought the carcass from me
probably took it down and parted it out. One less turbo
convertible makes the rest of 'em that much more valuable
and rare. I'm not proud of that one either.

And there are numerous Corvair projects that I did tackle
and some of them met with some level of success. The moral
of the story is that not everyone can save every Corvair
left on the planet. Pick you poison and enjoy doing to it
whatever your desire is. If it is the wrong car for you
don't get despondent. Just get another Corvair and try
again!!! This is our hobby and we are supposed to be
having fun, as my good friend Bob Marlow needs to remind
me now and again. - Caveman Pete