<VV> Broken Crank!

jvhroberts at aol.com jvhroberts at aol.com
Mon May 3 10:50:21 EDT 2010

 Iron and steel have approximately the same modulus of elasticity. Fatigue resistance, however, is quite different. And steel has a somewhat lower CTE than cast iron. I think GM chose steel for the fatigue resistance, and, in 1960, there weren't many nodular iron cranks out there (there were some), as the industry was still on a learning curve for this material.

John Roberts