<VV> In defense of stock Corvairs

Vairtec Corporation Vairtec at optonline.net
Tue May 4 13:24:26 EDT 2010

Mark Corbin wrote:
> If you chose to cut off your nose to spite your face by insisting on using "alternate"
> parts, you'll get what you deserve - an early demise of the original stuff.

While the premise is sound -- that supply and demand are at work -- the
demand side has been diminished not by whether cars are modified or left
stock, but by the passage of time.  The last Corvair was built more than
40 years ago.  Nothing that we can't find today has met an "early
demise."  If something, like stock-size tires, is discontinued today, we
have likely gotten more than we deserve, 40+ years of pretty decent
availability at pretty decent prices.

Also, it is unfair to use a broad brush to tar those who modify their
Corvairs.  People began modifying them in late 1959, not when CORSA came
along.  One of the earliest modifiers was our good friend John Fitch.
Should we smack him upside the head and say, "what were you thinking?"

Should we smack upside the head those who today are modifying 2010
Camaros, just so Camaro enthusiasts 40 years from now might have better
access to stock parts?

Preservation of stock Corvairs is a worthy segment of our hobby.  But it
is just that -- a segment.  Perhaps it should get a little special
attention because it has a unique degree of difficulty.  Perhaps it
should get some more formalized support from the organization.  Perhaps
there should be a increase in reward for those who pursue stock
preservation.  But DO NOT seek this while being dismissive of those who
modify.

--Bob Marlow