<VV> Concours- off the mark

Chris & Bill Strickland lechevrier at earthlink.net
Wed May 5 03:52:37 EDT 2010

>I don't understand this rant about "improved" stock.

You aren't alone Paul!     I thought the Corvair was all about
improvement, and here, on one hand, we have some guys trying to improve
participation in CORSA events, perhaps in an attempt to improve
membership and the bottom line, and on the other hand, we have a
minority of folks complaining about it.

Now I do appreciate those folks who choose to research and then display
their cars as Pure Stock, but then I also like to see what the Racer
boys can do to go better, faster, & harder, but like many of us,
probably the majority, I am somewhere in the middle, so does that mean
that most of us are "unimportant"?

I do think those that are complaining about the semantics of calling
something "improved" are way off the mark -- however, while their
complaints about the lack of interest in pure stock are perfectly valid
and topical, isn't "improved" the way of the Corvair, starting with the
first production year, 1960, when late in the year the factory
introduced the sporty new Monza as an improved Corvair, (and even
earlier, when they improved the horn function and removed the front
grille slots -- and how about moving the oil pressure sender?) and then
the Spyder with improved performance, and then the 1964 with improved
handling, and then the generally improved Late models?  The only years
that didn't see improvements direct from the factory are maybe 1967 and
1969.  Unfortunately I don't see where the vociferous complaining is
going to improve the interest in Pure Stock or the Stock Corvair Group
-- to me, it sounds more like an attempt to polarize  Corvair interest
rather than expand it, so I can't really say I understand ...

Not to mention the aftermarket crowd, starting with the fake grilles for
the 1960 model, all in an effort to 'improve' it.  Otto Parts initially
offered improved cooling via the 409 pump gears and neat fancy aluminum
castings.  And the vendors are still offering new and improved ideas to
help with fan belt troubles & loose flywheels.

Corvairs grew up with being improved, and I am all for anything that
improves participation in the convention events -- I don't see that this
takes anything away from those who have the opportunity and choose to
stay Pure Stock, but let's be very realistic here -- how many of those
Pure Stock cars also fit into the perfectly over-restored category? How
many cars left the factory "perfect"?

Very few cars have received the care necessary to preserve an original
factory paint job in 100 point condition. Heck, look at how many factory
paint jobs had runs and didn't even get the early car "eyebrows" painted
-- certainly that would be a concours deduction out on the lawn, even if
it was factory original.  My opinion would be that any repaint is an
improvement, but then I am not the concours chair, nor do I want to be.
Maybe these cars are shown in the Stock Over-Restored class -- I don't
know, I just think the name should give a person an idea of what they
are, ala "stock" & "improved" & "modified".  And maybe "original" and
"survivor".

signed, Bill Strickland, one of the unimportant guys who is still paying
his dues -- make me unimportant enough, and maybe I won't be, which
would probably please some folks just fine, but wouldn't do CORSA any
long term good.  It will take more than two members to make CORSA an
organization, so maybe putting a little effort into building consensus
instead of all this public fault finding would be to the long term good
of the Corvair  (or is every one expecting to be dead by then?).