<VV> <CORSA Chapters> Concours Chairmen and "Improved"Corvairs...

Dave Thompson dave.thompson at verizon.net
Thu May 6 00:14:40 EDT 2010

As I read this discussion, I feel I would like to enter my point of view. I
am a nubie. I entered the Corvair world about 3 years ago. My 63 Spyder is a
clone with other custom modified accessories. I consider it in average daily
driver condition. It is far from being in the condition to compete in a
Concours. However, I like to dream that someday I can get her into the
condition to qualify for a Concours. I believe that all Corvairs that are
running deserve respect. With all that in mind, here is my point of view...

As I see it, Concours is a competition that judges a group of cars to meet
certain parameters predefined in the rules. There should be different
classes that allow different types of Corvairs to be able to qualify for and
compete on level grounds. Because my Spyder is a clone, it will never be
able to compete in the Stock Class. Each class will have definitions and
parameters that both vehicle owners/competitors and judges can work with to
prepare and judge the vehicle. That way, there won't be a dead stock car
competing with a highly modified and so forth.

With this in mind, here is what I see as appropriate classes

Stock class

I consider the "Stock class" to be for cars that compete to be as close as
possible to the condition they were when they rolled off the GM factory
assembly line. Certain parameters should be in the rules that establish what
is and what is not acceptable such as: do reproduced sill plates conform or
do they qualify for taking points off. The rules should also overlook items
that are required by local laws such as seat belts. The rules should also
define whether or not certain dealer installed options are acceptable such
as tissue dispensers or early dash clocks.

Modified Street

This class will allow or not deduct points for items like different
upholstery or custom wheels. The judging should consider the craftsmanship
used in the modifications and if they are done "as the factory might have
done it if the feature was available". It should also include the V8 and
"other engined" Corvairs. I realize that this lends its self to much
interpretation so the rules may have to go into great detail.

Modified track

This class is for the vehicles that are modified for track competition.
Perhaps a designation would be that they must be street legal. Some vehicles
might qualify for both Modified Street and Modified track.

Competition track

These are the cars that are built for all-out competition and not street
legal. Some of the rules could require certain safety items such as the
quality of the driver protection system (roll bar)along with the
craftsmanship used to build the vehicle.

Basically, there should be a class for each type of Corvair. That way each
type of vehicle will be competing on level grounds with other vehicles.

I feel that CORSA should embrace ALL the different types of Corvairs and
owners; stock to wild custom and everywhere in between. The Concours rules
and classes should be written to make room for any and all Corvairs to
eventually compete.

This is just my opinion
Flame on

Dave Thompson