<VV> <CORSA Chapters> Concours Chairmen and "Improved"Corvairs...

Mark Corbin airvair at earthlink.net
Thu May 6 07:02:47 EDT 2010

Dave and all,

I think if you go to http://www.corvair.org/pdf/concours8.pdf and read the
CORSA Concours Rules, you will see that they cover everything about which
you have written. The classes have always been defined precisely, allowing
for everything that might come thru the gate. Accordingly, everything
should be in a class in which they are comparable and competitive. That is,
as long as the classification committee follows them to the letter and
doesn't go by arbitrary verbal decisions. They are written precisely just
for that reason.

That said, I'd like to point out one thing, for the sake of those who STILL
don't believe that precise wording and terminology means everything. You
mentioned that stock cars should be "as close as possible to the condition
they were when they rolled off the GM factory assembly line." The CORSA
rules states that stock cars should be "in appearance just as they were
AVAILABLE (emphasis mine) from the factory that year." NOTE that your
definition would only allow a car to have the equipment that it had the day
it rolled off the assembly line. No options added or subtracted. That is
what the Corvette Club does. The CORSA rules are worded slightly different
so as to allow options to be added and/or subtracted. THAT is the power of
subtle word differences.

On that subject, I personally am against banning the addition and/or
subtraction of factory options, for several very good reasons. First, while
the Corvette club has the advantage of being able to nail down every option
for every car ever built, we don't. We only have the body tag to go by, and
even if/when we DO have body tag decoding available for every car, that
list of options would not be complete. So it would not be possible to
verify certain options. Second, reproduction body tags are available, so
changing one's list of options is not impossible. And third, I feel that
such a practice (banning option additions/subtractions) is ultimately
detrimental to our basic goal of encouraging the preservation of the
Corvair and everything related to the Corvair.

Ultimately precise words DO matter. And Concours rules should NOT be
tampered with lightly. Every change to the wording MUST be carefully
deliberated, because ultimately, the rules MUST be followed to the letter.
Otherwise, chaos, confusion, and unfairness will reign.

-Mark