<VV> 500's

Mark Corbin airvair at earthlink.net
Sat May 8 19:16:17 EDT 2010

I started the 500 thread because the 500's, 700's, and 4doors are the
Rodney Dangerfield of the Corvair world. I merely stated the thinking of
the vast majority of people in the car hobby.

Pity the poor movie set decorator who has to round up vintage cars to
decorate the set in a period piece movie. Most of the available cars are
usually high-line, highly optioned cars. Certainly not what would have been
typically found crusing your average city streets. It's interesting
watching such movies and noting all the vintage cars (usually in the
background.) Usually fender skirts and continental kits abound. Where are
all the pedestrian plain-Jane cars that were so common back then?

It's like the listings in Hemmings. Take for instance one of my favorite
cars, the '67 Chevelle 4door hardtop. Look in Hemmings and you'd think that
all the Chevelles they ever produced were 2door hardtops and convertibles,
and mostly in SS396 trim. Occasionally a 4door wagon may pop up. But almost
never do 2door sedans, 4door sedans, or 4door hardtops ever show up. Even
El Caminos are hard to find, and they're one of the more collectable
models.

Same goes for the Corvair. So where have all the 500's, 700's, and 4doors
gone? They're really hard to find, because most of them were used up as
beaters, stripped to save high-line cars, or customized beyond recognition
(as a 500, etc.) After all, "nobody wants them", the prevailing thoughts
go. I've heard people say "I strip out 4doors to save coupes." Heck, what
we DON'T need are more coupes. They made three times as many coupes as
4doors. Yet it happens all the time. I've even had people come up to me
(when I was showing my 4door) and say that they didn't know they made
4doors. I tell them "When they first started building them, that's ALL they
made!"

People who show cars want a car that says "look at me." A 500 or a 4door,
they think, will bore the public to tears. So the vast majority seek out
high-line, highly-optioned coupes and convertables. Maybe everybody's
missing something here. Maybe you can get attention with a 500 or a 4door,
because (by now) people don't realize that they made such beasts.
Certainly, you'd have little competition, amid a field overrun with
high-line coupes and convertibles.

Like wire wheel covers, for example. At one convention, I counted about 14
cars in the stock classes. All but two had wires on them. Great looking
bling. But why, when most Corvairs came with the stock, base issue wheel
cover.

I posted the initial thread just to point out the prevailing mentality,
which I think is a shameful attitude. People think that everyone else wants
coupes. Well, not EVERYone does. I love 4doors. And some people want 500's.
Too bad so many people sacrifice the scarce to save the common.

-Mark

Oh sure just as I'm about to latch on to a 60 "500" they are out of
popularity, but wait some of you may know this car, it won the Cole award
at the 91
convention and is  Canadian built, body #236. Still mostly original. Not
in
my possession yet but soon, and yes it is a "stripper", and I love it for
that. Ed in Fla"

Ed,

If any "500" is in your hands, it will be or become a beauty! I've seen
your cars!

As long as you are "coming out of the closet", I will also admit to having
a 500. Mine is a "Little Old Lady" '63 coupe with 1 option: Powerglide. I
bought it from her estate with 43,000 on the clock. Unfortunately, she
didn't take very good care of it, hence it lurks in my pole barn until I
get time to make her shine.

I didn't mention my 500 before, because, like my loaded 62 Monza Sedan, I
feel bad when I hear that 500's are worthless or make good parts cars just
like early sedans are lesser than late sedans. You know what I mean.
Anyhow, I congratulate your purchase of this '60 and can't wait to see
pictures of it! You have great taste and supurb talent with making cars
look awesome!

Too old for a flame suit.

Bob Johnston
Frostbite Falls, MN