<VV> Seat belt install.... and 500's

Dale Dewald dkdewald at pasty.net
Sat May 8 14:44:51 EDT 2010

At 12:53 5/08/2010 -0400, Les wrote:

>For my '65, should the front seat belt attach be bolted down on top of
>the carpet, or underneath? I know there are some unmolested cars out
>there...

In all cases of factory original seat belts I have observed, the seat belt
mounting end was bolted down on top of the floor covering--the rubber mat
in the case of 500's and FC's, carpet for the higher trim models. Often
there was a color keyed plastic boot that also covered the mounting hardware.

FWIW, last summer I purchased a 1967 500 4-door "survivor" which I plan to
restore to as near Factory Stock as possible. (desert car--paint and
interior too far gone to save)  Since I like to DRIVE my Corvairs, it might
end up being more practical to maintain the car as Street Stock, which
would allow for the use of non-factory replacements of consumable items;
filters, shocks, tires, plug wires, etc...

Of particular interest is that this car still has the original, nearly
unobtainable rubber floor "carpet" in mostly one piece. It will be a
challenge to repair it, but I will try.   I would, therefore, be interested
in an extra rubber carpet that may be better than mine or from which I can
use for patch material.

Anyone parting out a LM 500 that still has the rubber floor "carpet" mat?

Dale Dewald
Hancock, MI