<VV> Neutral Safety switch

Mark Corbin airvair at earthlink.net
Fri May 14 01:49:11 EDT 2010

Actually, in a Corvair, the neutral safety switch performs two functions.
First of course, it keeps the starter from being engaged if the car isn't
in neutral. But its second function is to interrupt the juice to the backup
lights if the car isn't in reverse. Otherwise, the backup lights would be
constantly on. Just jumper it some time if you doubt me.

As far as putting in the clutch when starting a manual trans Corvair, why?
And NO, I don't put in the clutch, because that's a wasted effort. It
always annoyed me when I'd step into my car after my mechanic had parked
it, only to hit the starter and have the car leap forward. Stupid idiot
didn't leave it in neutral and pull the handbrake like he's supposed to.
That's how Corvairs are supposed to be left, in neutral with the handbrake
pulled.. So every time after leaving it with him, I have to check to see if
the car's in neutral, like it's supposed to be. (Note that I live in the
flatlands, Seth.)

Now if you REALLY want to improve modern cars, have it so that manual trans
cars can't be started unless the trans is in neutral. LOL

-Mark

But