<VV> leaving it in gear, was: Neutral Safety switch

Mark Corbin airvair at earthlink.net
Fri May 14 08:13:00 EDT 2010

Never said what I do is in an owner's manual, nor for that matter what
"every body else" THINKS should be done. Truth is, probably most of the
emergency brakes on cars today have never been used. People always put it
(automatics) in park and leave it. I know I do in most of my non-Corvairs.

I'm used to the Corvair automatic, where you HAVE to use the hand brake.
You don't leave an automatic Corvair in gear, do you? So since I USE the
Corvair hand brake, what's the sense of leaving a manual Corvair in gear?
Ok, I can understand it on a steep grade (and I DO "leave it in gear" on
such a grade), but otherwise no. My own personal preference is to just keep
doing what I do with an automatic Corvair, leave it in neutral and use the
handbrake. And let others do their thing, as they choose.

I still like my idea of requiring that the car be in neutral in order to be
started, despite what "Big Brother" thinks should be the way.

-Mark